What do you do when your faith waivers? Here are a few of the things I do:
- I look to Jesus. Hebrews 1:3 says that He is the exact representation of the the Father. Jesus told His disciples that if they had seen Him they had seen the Father (John 14:9), so when we look at the ministry of Jesus we can see the Will of God in action. Jesus Himself said in John 5:19: Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.” Every time Jesus healed, forgave sin, delivered a person from demonic oppression or provided for a need it was because in His Spirit He saw His Father doing those things. He even said in John 15:30: “I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.” So He said what He heard His Father saying and He acted on the vision of His Father as He did the work. Jesus is the Word of God in action!
- I visualize Jesus handling the problems of the people: delivering, healing, meeting needs, offering love, forgiveness and encouragement; teaching, preaching and healing.Matthew 4:23-24 NKJV And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people. Then His fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them.
Acts 10:38 NKJV “how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.
To the woman who was condemned, being caught in adultery, Jesus offered forgiveness and freedom from sin: John 8:10-11 NKJV When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.”
To those who were hungry and didn’t have food Jesus took the lunch of a small boy and multiplied it to feed five thousand: John 6:8-11 NKJV One of His disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, said to Him, “There is a lad here who has five barley loaves and two small fish, bu what are they among so many?” Then Jesus said, “Make the people sit down.” Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand. And Jesus took the loaves, and when He had given thanks He distributed them to the disciples, and the disciples to those sitting down; and like-wise of the fish, as much as they wanted.
To Peter who needed money to pay taxes Jesus said this: Matthew 17:27 NKJV “Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them for Me and you.”
- I listen to His words to His disciples and see them as His words to me:Luke 17:5, 6 NKJV And the apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.” So the Lord said, “If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.”
Luke 5:4, 5 NKJV When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.” But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.”
Matthew 21:22 NKJV “And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”
- I set myself in agreement with His Word to believe and not doubt:Mark 11:22-24 NKJV So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. “For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. “Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.”
Matthew 19:26 NKJV But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Mark 9:23 NKJV Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”
John 20:29 NKJV Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
- In the presence of fear I listen as Jesus speaks words of faith to me!Luke 8:49, 50 NKJV While He was still speaking, someone came from the ruler of the synagogue’s house, saying to him, “Your daughter is dead. Do not trouble the Teacher.” But when Jesus heart it, He answered him, saying, “Do not be afraid; only believe, and she will be made well.”
- I stand in faith believing that what He has promised He will do!Luke 22:31, 32 NKJV And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan as asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. “But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”
Hebrews 13:8 NKJV Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
- I look forward to the manifestation of His promises to me:Hebrews 10:35-38 NKJV Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward, For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise: “For yet a little while, And He who is coming will come and will not tarry. Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.” But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.
2 Corinthians 1:19, 20 NKJV For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us—by me, Silvanus, and Timothy—was not Yes and No, but in Him was Yes. For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.
- I pray in the Spirit to build my faith:Jude 20 NKJV But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
1 Corinthians 14:4 NKJV He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the Church.
- I pattern my life after those such as Abraham who is known as the “Father of faith”:Romans 4:20, 21 NKJV He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.
Is your faith wavering? If so, maybe these suggestions will help to settle you and establish you so you can stand strong believing that your faith is what John was talking about in 1 John 5:4 when he said that your faith is the victory that overcomes the world! YOUR faith is overcoming faith! YOUR faith brings victory! YOUR faith pleases God! YOUR faith moves mountains! YOUR faith carries you through! Don’t give up your faith!
Father, I thank You that when I am weak, You are strong and that as I pray, believe and set my heart to receive what You have promised I can be assured that You will do it and I will see what I am believing You for. Thank You for showing me the evidence of Your will in action through the life of Jesus Christ as He ministered to the hurting people of His day. I thank You that He is still the same, even though He is not walking in the physical sense in our world today but that He lives through His Spirit in the hearts and lives of Your people and He is still ministering forgiveness, healing, deliverance and provision for people today! I thank You for showing us Your goodness through the ministry of Jesus Christ and for demonstrating Your great love for us through His crucifixion that we might have an opportunity through faith in Him to be born into Your family. I pray that those who are weak in faith will be encouraged today. I pray that those who are unbelieving will become believers in Christ Jesus today! I pray that those who are wavering in their faith will be strengthened as they apply these principles to their lives. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.